Associate Professor, Microbiology
PhD: Bose Institute / Jadavpur University, 2006
Bose Institute Research Associate
CSIR Research Associate
Working at the cross-roads of microbiology and geochemistry my team wants to know the Natural Histories of Microorganisms. By probing into microbial life at its various organizational levels - starting from biomacromolecules up to ecosystems - we try to answer wide-ranging questions of microbial ecology and evolution. Our thrust areas of research include investigation of the molecular biologies and evolution of sulfur-chemolithotrophic prokaryotes, and the physicochemical constraints and opportunities governing the habitability of biophysically-extreme environments such as hydrothermal vent ecosystems and oxygen-stressed regions of the deep-sea (physicochemical windows for the activity and growth of microbes in these environments). Our researches have implications in relation to (i) overall planetary health; (ii) origins of life on Earth/extraterrestrial locations; (iii) habitability of manmade/artificial/engineered biomes on Earth/extraterrestrial locations.
Department of Microbiology
P-1/12 C.I.T. Scheme VII-M
Kolkata - 700054, India
- P Pyne, M Alam, MJ Rameez, S Mandal, A Sar, N Mondal, U Debnath, B Mathew, AK Misra, AK Mandal, W Ghosh. (2018) Homologs from sulfur oxidation (Sox) and methanol dehydrogenation (Xox) enzyme systems collaborate to give rise to a novel pathway of chemolithotrophic tetrathionate oxidation. Molecular Microbiology In Press.
- S Fernandes, A Mazumdar, S Bhattacharya, A Peketi, T Mapder, R Roy, MA Carvalho, C Roy, P Mahalakshmi, R Da Silva, PLS Rao, SK Banik, W Ghosh. (2018) Enhanced carbon-sulfur cycling in the sediments of Arabian Sea oxygen minimum zone center. Scientific Reports 8: 8665.
- P Pyne, M Alam, W Ghosh. (2017) A novel soxO gene, encoding a glutathione disulfide reductase, is essential for tetrathionate oxidation in Advenella kashmirensis. Microbiological Research 205, 1-7.
- Roy C, Alam M, Mandal S and other authors and Ghosh W (2016) Global Association between Thermophilicity and Vancomycin Susceptibility in Bacteria. Frontiers in Microbiology 7: 412.
- Mukherjee T, Bose S, Sen U, Roy C, Rameez MJ, Ghosh W and Mukhopadhyay SK (2016) Genome Sequence of the Red Pigment-Forming Meiothermus taiwanensis strain RP isolated from Paniphala Hot Spring, India. Genome Announcements 4(3): e00629-16.
- Bose S, Mukherjee T, Sen U, Roy C, Rameez MJ, Ghosh W (2016) Genome sequence of the multiple-protease-producing strain Geobacillus thermoleovorans N7, a thermophilic bacterium isolated from Paniphala Hot Spring, West Bengal, India. Genome Announcements 4(5): e01202-16.
- U Sen, T Mukherjee, S Bose, C Roy, MJ Rameez, W Ghosh, (2016) Genome sequence of the arsenic-resistant Haladaptatus sp. strain R4 isolated from Ramnagar, West Bengal, India. Genome Announcements 4(5): e01017-16.
- Ghosh W, Roy C, Roy R and other authors (2015) Resilience and receptivity worked in tandem to sustain a geothermal mat community amidst erratic environmental conditions. Scientific Reports 5: 12179.
- Alam M and Ghosh W (2014) Optimization of a phenol extraction-based protein preparation method amenable to downstream 2DE and MALDI-MS based analysis of bacterial proteomes. Proteomics 14: 216-221.
- Alam M, Pyne P, Mazumdar A, Peketi A and Ghosh W (2013) Kinetic enrichment of 34S during proteobacterial thiosulfate oxidation and the conserved role of SoxB in S-S bond breaking. Applied and Environmental Microbiology 79: 4455-4464.
- Ghosh W, Alam M, Roy C and other authors (2013) Genome implosion elicits host-confinement in Alcaligenaceae: evidence from the comparative genomics of Tetrathiobacter kashmirensis, a pathogen in the making. PLoS One 8: e64856.
- Alam M, Roy C, Pyne P, Agarwal A, George A and Ghosh W (2012) Whole-genome shotgun sequence of the sulfur-oxidizing chemoautotroph Pseudaminobacter salicylatoxidans KCT001. Journal of Bacteriology 194: 4743-4744.
- Ghosh W, George A, Agarwal A, Raj P, Alam M, Pyne P and Das Gupta SK (2011) Whole-genome shotgun sequencing of the sulfur-oxidizing chemoautotroph Tetrathiobacter kashmirensis. Journal of Bacteriology 193: 5553-5554.
- Dam B, Ghosh W and Das Gupta SK (2009) Conjugative Type 4 secretion system of a novel large plasmid from the chemoautotroph Tetrathiobacter kashmirensis and construction of shuttle vectors for Alcaligenaceae. Applied and Environmental Microbiology 75: 4362-4373.
- Ghosh W, Mallick S and Das Gupta SK (2009) Origin of the Sox multienzyme complex system in ancient thermophilic bacteria and coevolution of its constituent proteins. Research in Microbiology 160: 409-420.
- Ghosh W and Dam B (2009) Biochemistry and molecular biology of lithotrophic sulfur oxidation by taxonomically and ecologically diverse bacteria and archaea. FEMS Microbiology Reviews 33: 999-1043.
- Ghosh W and Roy P (2007) Chemolithoautotrophic oxidation of thiosulfate and tetrathionate by novel strains of Azospirillum and Pseudoxanthomonas isolated from the rhizosphere of an Indian tropical leguminous plant. Current Science 93: 1613-1615.
- Dam B, Mandal S, Ghosh W, Das Gupta SK and Roy P (2007) The S4-intermediate pathway for the oxidation of thiosulfate by the chemolithoautotroph Tetrathiobacter kashmirensis and inhibition of tetrathionate oxidation by sulfite. Research in Microbiology 158: 330-338.
- Ghosh W and Roy P (2007) Chemolithoautotrophic oxidation of thiosulfate, tetrathionate and thiocyanate by a novel rhizobacterium belonging to the genus Paracoccus. FEMS Microbiology Letters 270: 124-131.
- Ghosh W and Roy P (2006) Ubiquitous presence and activity of sulfur-oxidizing lithoautotrophic microorganisms in the rhizospheres of tropical plants. Current Science 91: 159-161.
- Ghosh W and Roy P (2006) Mesorhizobium thiogangeticum sp. nov., a novel sulfur-oxidizing chemolithoautotroph from rhizosphere soil of an Indian tropical leguminous plant. International Journal of Systematic and Evolutionary Microbiology 56: 91-97.
- Ghosh W, Mandal S and Roy P (2006) Paracoccus bengalensis sp. nov., a novel sulfur-oxidizing chemolithoautotroph from the rhizospheric soil of an Indian tropical leguminous plant. Systematic and Applied Microbiology 29: 396-403.
- Lahiri C, Mandal S, Ghosh W, Dam B and Roy P (2006) A novel gene cluster soxSRT is essential for the chemolithotrophic oxidation of thiosulfate and tetrathionate by Pseudaminobacter salicylatoxidans KCT001. Current Microbiology 52: 267-273.
- Ghosh W, Bagchi A, Mandal S, Dam B and Roy P (2005) Tetrathiobacter kashmirensis gen. nov., sp. nov., a novel mesophilic, neutrophilic, tetrathionate-oxidizing, facultatively chemolithotrophic betaproteobacterium isolated from soil from a temperate orchard in Jammu and Kashmir, India. International Journal of Systematic and Evolutionary Microbiology 55: 1779-1787.
|Rameez M J||SRF||Microbiology||Centenary||25693245||rameez|
Masrure Alam (Former Senior Research Fellow and Research Associate)
Mr. Prosenjit Pyne (Senior Research Fellow)
Mr. Chayan Roy (Senior Research Fellow)
Mr. Sabyasachi Bhattacharya (Senior Research Fellow)
Mr. MJ Rameez (Senior Research Fellow)
Mr. Subhrangshu Mandal (Senior Research Fellow)