Tapan Kumar Dutta
Tapan Kumar Dutta
PhD: Bose Institute / Jadavpur University, 1993
Previous appointments:1994-1997 Resident Research Associateship Award (US EPA Lab, Gulf Breeze, Florida), National Research Council (NRC), USA. 1998-2000 Research Associateship Award (Marine Biotechnology Institute, Kamaishi), NEDO, Govt. of Japan.
Biochemical characterization and development of microbial process(s) for the efficient mineralization of various health hazard environmental pollutants.
Genomic and proteomic approach for the characterization of catabolic pathways involved in the bacterial assimilation of polycyclic aromatic hydrocarbons.
Development of bio-reporter strain to monitor toxic and/or carcinogenic pollutantspresent in the environment.
Prospecting for novel biocatalyst and drugs from soil and gut metagenome.
Evolutionary studies of phylogenetically diverse enzymes involved in the
metabolism of aromatics.
Structure-function analysis of oxygenase in the biosphere chemistry.
Biocatalysis in the synthesis of specialty chemicals.
Department of Microbiology
P-1/12 C.I.T. Scheme VII-M
Kolkata - 700054, India
1. Debajyoti Ghosal, Shreya Ghosh, Tapan K. Dutta* and Youngho Ahn* (2016) Current State of Knowledge in Microbial Degradation of Polycyclic Aromatic Hydrocarbons (PAHs): A Review. Front. Microbiol. 7:1369. doi: 10.3389/fmicb.2016.01369
2. Soumik Basu, Piyali Pal Chowdhury, Satamita Deb and Tapan K. Dutta (2016). Biochemical and Molecular Characterization of the Degradation Pathways of 2- and 4-Nitrobenzoates in Cupriavidus sp. Strain ST-14 and Construction of a Recombinant Strain ST-14::3NBA Capable of Degrading 3-Nitrobenzoate. Appl. Environ. Microbiol. 82:4253–4263
3. Piyali Pal Chowdhury, Soumik Basu, Arindam Dutta and Tapan K. Dutta (2016). Functional Characterization of a Novel Member of the Amidohydrolase 2 Protein Family, 2-Hydroxy-1-Naphthoic Acid Nonoxidative Decarboxylase from Burkholderia sp. Strain BC1. J. Bacteriol. 198:1755-1763
4. Joydeep Chakraborty, Tanmoy Jana, Sudipto Saha and Tapan K. Dutta (2014). RHObase: A database of aromatic ring-hydroxylating oxygenases in the management of bioremediation and biocatalysis of aromatic compounds. Environ Microbiol Rep. 6: 519-523.
5. Pratick Khara, Madhumita Roy, Joydeep Chakraborty, Debajyoti Ghosal and Tapan K. Dutta (2014) Functional characterization of diverse ring-hydroxylating oxygenases and induction of complex aromatic catabolic gene clusters in Sphingobium sp. PNB. FEBS Open Bio 4: 290‐300
6. Piyali Pal Chowdhury, Jayita Sarkar, Soumik Basu, and Tapan K. Dutta (2014) Metabolism of 2-hydroxy-1-naphthoic acid and naphthalene via gentisic acid by distinctly different sets of enzymes in Burkholderia sp. strain BC1. Microbiology 160: 892-902.
7. Arindam Dutta, Joydeep Chakraborty and Tapan K. Dutta (2013). Episodic positive selection during the evolution of naphthalene dioxygenase to nitroarene dioxygenase. Biochem Biophys Res Comm. 440: 68-75.
8. Madhumita Roy, Pratick Khara, Soumik Basu and Tapan K. Dutta (2013). Catabolic versatility of Sphingobium sp. strain PNB capable of degrading structurally diverse aromatic compounds. J Bioremed Biodeg 4:173. doi:10.4172/2155-6199.1000173.
9. Jayita Sarkar, Piyali Pal Chowdhury, Tapan K. Dutta (2013). Complete degradation of di-n-octyl phthalate by Gordonia sp. strain Dop5. Chemosphere 90: 2571-2577.
10. Debajyoti Ghosal, Arindam Dutta, Joydeep Chakraborty, Soumik Basu and Tapan K. Dutta (2013). Characterization of the metabolic pathway involved in assimilation of acenaphthene in Acinetobacter sp. strain AGAT-W. Res. Microbiol. 164: 155-163.
11. Madhumita Roy, Pratick Khara, Tapan K. Dutta (2012). meta-Cleavage of hydroxynaphthoic acids in the degradation of phenanthrene by Sphingobium sp. strain PNB. Microbiology 158(3): 685-95.
12. Joydeep Chakraborty, Debajyoti Ghosal, Arindam Dutta and Tapan K. Dutta (2012). An insight into the origin and functional evolution of bacterial aromatic ring-hydroxylating dioxygenases. J. Biomol. Struct. Dyn. 30(4): 419-436.
13. Tapan K. Dutta, Arindam Dutta, Joydeep Chakraborty, Jayita Sarkar, Piyali Pal Chowdhury, Gunsalus IC (2012). Purification and properties of reductase of the three-component pcymene methyl hydroxylase from Pseudomonas chlororaphis subsp. aureofaciens. Process Biochem. 47(8): 1263-1267.
14. Joydeep Chakraborty and Tapan K. Dutta (2011). From lipid transport to oxygenation of aromatic compounds: Evolution within the Bet v1-like superfamily. J. Biomol. Struct. Dyn. 29(1): 67-78.
15. Somnath Mallick, Joydeep Chakraborty and Tapan K. Dutta (2011). Role of oxygenases in guiding diverse metabolic pathways in the bacterial degradation of lowmolecularweight polycyclic aromatic hydrocarbons: A review. Crit. Rev. Microbiol. 37(1): 64-90.
16. Tapan K. Dutta, Joydeep Chakraborty, Madhumita Roy, Debajyoti Ghosal, Pratick Khara and Gunzales IC (2010) Cloning and characterization of a three-component p-cymene methyl hydroxylase from Pseudomonas chlororaphis subsp. aureofaciens. Res. Microbiol. 161(10): 876-882.
17. Debajyoti Ghosal, Joydeep Chakraborty, Pratick Khara and Tapan K. Dutta (2010) Degradation of phenanthrene via meta-cleavage of 2-hydroxy-1-naphthoic acid by Ochrobactrum sp. strain PWTJD. FEMS Microbiol. Lett. 313(2): 103-110.
18. Subhankar Chatterjee and Tapan K. Dutta (2008). Metabolic cooperation of Gordonia sp. strain MTCC 4818 and Arthrobacter sp. strain WY in the utilization of butyl benzyl phthalate: effect of a novel co-culture in the degradation of mixture of phthalates. Microbiology 154: 3338-3346.
19. Somnath Mallick and Tapan K. Dutta (2008) Kinetics of phenanthrene degradation by Staphylococcus sp. strain PN/Y involving 2-hydroxy-1-naphthoic acid in a novel metabolic pathway. Process Biochemistry 43: 1004-1008.
20. Subhankar Chatterjee and Tapan K. Dutta (2008) Complete degradation of butyl benzyl phthalate by a defined bacterial consortium: Role of individual isolates in the assimilation pathway. Chemosphere 70: 933-941.
21. Somnath Mallick, Subhankar Chatterjee, and Tapan K. Dutta (2007) A novel degradation pathway in the assimilation of phenanthrene by Staphylococcus sp. strain PN/Y via meta-cleavage of 2-hydroxy-1-naphthoic acid: Formation of trans-2,3-dioxo-5-(2¢-hydroxyphenyl)-pent-4-enoic acid. Microbiology 153: 2104-2115.
22. Joydeep Chakraborty and Tapan K. Dutta (2006) Isolation of a Pseudomonas sp. capable of utilizing 4-nonylphenol in presence of phenol. J. Microbiol. Biotechnol. 16: 1740-1746.
23. Shubhankar Chatterjee, Somnath Mallick and Tapan K. Dutta (2005) Pathways in the degradation of hydrolyzed alcohols of butyl benzyl phthalate in metabolically diverse Gordonia sp. strain MTCC 4818. J. Mol. Microbiol. Biotechnol. 9: 110-120.
24. Tapan K. Dutta (2005) Origin, occurrence, and biodegradation of long-side-chain alkyl compounds in the environment: a review. Environ. Geochem. and Health 27: 271-284.
25. Tapan K. Dutta (2003) My association with Dr. Gunsalus in the EPA Lab and Beyond. Biochem. Biophys. Res. Commun. 312: 241-244 (Invited article).
26. Shubhankar Chatterjee and Tapan K. Dutta (2003) Metabolism of butyl benzyl phthalate by Gordonia sp. strain MTCC 4818. Biochem. Biophys. Res. Commun. 309: 36-43.
27. Shuvendu Das, Tapan K. Dutta and Timir B. Samanta (2002) Influence of substituents at C11 on hydroxylation of progesterone analogs by Bacillus sp. J. steroid Biochem. Mol. Biol. 82: 257-261.
28. Tapan K. Dutta and Shigeaki Harayama (2001). Biodegradation of n-alkylcycloalkanes and n-alkylbenzenes via new pathways in Alcanivorax sp. Strain MBIC 4326. Appl. Environ. Microbiol. 67: 1970-1974.
29. Tapan K. Dutta and Shigeaki Harayama (2001). Time-of-flight mass spectrometric analysis of high-molecular-weight alkanes in crude oil by silver nitrate chemical ionization after laser desorption. Anal. Chem. 73: 864-869.
30. Tapan K. Dutta and Shigeaki Harayama (2001). Analysis of long-side-chain alkylaromatics in crude oil for evaluation of their fate in the environment. Environ. Sci. Technol. 35: 102-107.
31. Tapan K. Dutta and Shigeaki Harayama (2000). Fate of crude oil by the combination of photooxidation and biodegradation. Environ. Sci. Technol. 34: 1500-1505.
32. Tapan K. Dutta and Timir B. Samanta (1999). Bioconversion of progesterone by the activated immobilized conidia of Aspergillus ochraceus TS. Current Microbiol. 39: 309-312.
33. Tapan K. Dutta, Sergey A. Selifonov and Irwin C. Gunsalus (1998). Oxidation of methyl-substituted naphthalenes: pathways in a versatile Sphingomonas paucimobilis strain. Appl. Environ. Microbiol. 64: 1884-1889.
34. Tapan K. Dutta and Timir B. Samanta (1997). Novel catalytic activity of immobilized spores under reduced water activity. Bioorg. Med. Chem. Lett.. 7: 629-632.
35. Tapan K. Dutta and Irwin C. Gunsalus (1997). Reductase gene sequence and protein structures: p-cymene methyl hydroxylase. Biochem. Biophys. Res. Commun. 233, 502-506.
36. Jharna Datta, Tapan K. Dutta and Timir B. Samanta (1994). Microsomal glutathione S-transferase isozymes in Aspergillus ochraceus TS: induction by 3-methylcholanthrene. Biochem. Biophys. Res. Commun. 203, 1508-1514
37. Tapan K. Dutta, Jharna Datta and Timir B. Samanta (1993). Onset of new catalytic activity in immobilized spores of Aspergillus ochraceus TS due to in situ germination: C17-C20 lysis accompanies 11a-hydroxylation of steroid. Biochem. Biophys. Res. Commun. 192, 119-123.
38. Tapan K. Dutta and Timir B. Samanta (1992). An improved method for separation and estimation of bioconverted steroids. J. Gen. Appl. Microbiol. 38, 283-288.
|Megha Chakraborty||Junior Research Fellow||Microbiology||Centenary||25693242||megha91c|
|Mriganka Munshi Karmakar||Junior Research Fellow||Microbiology||Centenary||25693242||mriganka.mk|
|Rinita Dhar||Junior Research Fellow||Microbiology||Centenary||25693242|
|Saikat Deb||Junior Research Fellow||Microbiology||Centenary||25693241||saikat.deb|
|Satamita Deb||Senior Research Fellow||Microbiology||Centenary||25693242||satamita|
|Suman Basu||Junior Research Fellow||Microbiology||Centenary||25693241|
Postdoctoral Fellows / RA :
|Debarun Acharya||Research Associate||Bioinformatics Centre||Centenary||23556626||debarun|