, Division of Plant Biology
PhD: Saha Institute of Nuclear Physics , 2010
Post-Doctoral Research Fellow at Department of Organismic Interactions, Max Planck Institute for Terrestrial Microbiology
- Functional studies on secreted effector proteins from different phytopathogenic fungi
- defense mechanisms of host plants against pathogen invasion involving apoplastic proteins
Division of Plant Biology
P-1/12 C.I.T. Scheme VII-M
Kolkata - 700054, India
· Survival strategies of corn smut fungus Ustilago maydis during host colonization
Ustilago maydis is a biotrophic fungus that infects Zea mays. During host colonization the fungus is exposed to a number of plant defense responses like for instance elevated levels of reactive oxygen species (ROS) in the vicinity of the invasion site. Depending upon the compatibility of the pathogen and the host strain this ROS stimuli can either initiate a cell death response in the pathogen or could be overcome by the defense responses of the pathogen itself. In this project we are engaged in dissecting these survival and death pathways of Ustilago maydis during a compatible and incompatible interaction with the host plant Zea mays.
· Functional characterization of U. maydis effector proteins
Effector proteins are key factors defining the virulence of a phytopathogenic fungus like Ustilago maydis. In this project we are engaged in investigating the functions of different groups of secreted effector proteins from Ustilago maydis in the context of their role in manipulating host defense responses.
· Functional proteomics of rice apoplastic fluid
This project is aimed to study the apoplastic fluid proteome of rice under conditions of pathogen invasion. Through this study we are investigating on one hand the in-planta secretome of different pathogens infecting rice and on the other hand rice secreted proteins that play crucial roles in defense against pathogen invasion.
1. Mukherjee D, Mitra A, Ghosh A*. Detection of apoptosis like cell death in Ustilago maydis by annexin V-FITC staining. Bioprotocol 2018, (accepted for publication).
2. Mukherjee D, Gupta S, Saran N, Datta R, Ghosh A*. Induction of apoptosis-like cell death and clearance of stress induced intracellular protein aggregates: dual roles for Ustilago maydis metacaspase Mca1. Molecular Microbiology 2017, Sep 23, doi: 10.1111/mmi.13848.
3. Ghosh A*, Raha S. Proteases from protozoa and their role in infection. Proteases in physiology and pathology 2017, pp 143-158 (book chapter)
4. Ray D, Ghosh A, Banerjee Mustafi S, Raha S. Plant stress response: HSP70 in the spotlight. Heat shock proteins and plants 2016, pp 123-147 (book chapter)
5. Ghosh P, Roy A, Hess D, Ghosh A, Das S. Deciphering the Mode of Action of a Modified Allium sativum Leaf Agglutinin (mASAL), a Potent antifungal Protein on Rhizoctonia solani. BMC Microbiology 2015; Oct 26;15:237.
6. Ghosh A*, Raha S. Molecular and functional characterization of a stress responsive cysteine protease, EhCP6 from Entamoeba histolytica. Protein Expression and Purification 2015 May;109:55-61. doi: 10.1016/j.pep.2015.02.005.
7. Ghosh A*. Small heat shock proteins (HSP12, HSP20 and HSP30) play a role in Ustilago maydis pathogenesis. FEMS Microbiology Letters 2014 Sep 22; doi: 10.1111/1574-6968.12605
8. Djamei A£, Schipper K£, Rabe F, Ghosh A, Vincon V, Kahnt J, Osorio S, Tohge T, Fernie AR, Feussner I, Feussner K, Meinicke P, Stierhof YD, Schwarz H, Macek B, Mann M, Kahmann R. Metabolic priming by a secreted fungal effector. Nature 2011 Oct 5; 478(7369): 395-8. doi: 10.1038/nature10454.
9. Ghosh AS, Ray D, Dutta S, Raha S. EhMAPK, the mitogen-activated protein kinase from Entamoeba histolytica is associated with cell survival. PLoS One 2010 Oct 8; 5(10): e13291. doi: 10.1371/journal.pone.0013291.
10. Ghosh AS, Dutta S, Raha S. Hydrogen peroxide-induced apoptosis-like cell death in Entamoeba histolytica. Parasitology International 2010 Jun; 59(2): 166-72. doi: 10.1016/j.parint.2010.01.001. Epub 2010 Jan 15.
11. Dutta S, Sardar A, Ray D, Raha S. Molecular and functional characterization of EhPAK3 a p21 activated kinase from Entamoeba histolytica. Gene 2007 Nov 1;402(1-2):57-67.
£ Contributed equally
* Author for correspondence
- Recipient of Early Career Research Award from SERB, 2018
- Selected as DST-INSPIRE Faculty by Department of Science and Technology (DST), India, 2013
- Recipient of Postdoctoral Fellowship from Max Planck Society, 2010-2013
" Plant Molecular Biology Course " in the Integrated M.Sc. PhD Programme of Bose Institute.
1. Transport of micro and macro molecules
2. Plant stress signalling during pathogen (bacterial and fungal phytopathogens) invasion
|Anisha Roy||Junior Research Fellow||Division of Plant Biology||Centenary||25693254|
|Aroni Mitra||Junior Research Fellow||Division of Plant Biology||Centenary||25693263||aronimitra|
|Dibya Mukherjee||Senior Research Fellow||Division of Plant Biology||Centenary||25693348|
|Rahul Datta||Senior Research Fellow||Division of Plant Biology||Centenary||25693348|
|Udita Acharya||Senior Research Fellow||Division of Plant Biology||Centenary||25693348||uditaacharya11|
Rahul Datta, JRF (Email: firstname.lastname@example.org)
Dibya Mukherjee, JRF (Email: email@example.com)
Udita Acharya, JRF (Email: firstname.lastname@example.org)
Subhasish Mukherjee, JRF (Email: email@example.com)
Aroni Mitra, JRF (Email: firstname.lastname@example.org)
Srimoyee Banerjee, CSIR-RA (email@example.com)
- Opening for prospective PhD student
Students having interest in studies revealing the molecular mehanisms of interaction between phytopathogens and their respective host plants are welcome to contact the PI at firstname.lastname@example.orgemail@example.com. Candidates having sound knowledge and hands on experience in different Molecular Biology techniques will be given preference. Also it is desirous that the students are having Biochemistry/Microbiology and/or Biotechnology in their undergraduate studies.
- A protocol on "detection of apoptosis like cell death in Ustilago maydis by annexin V-FITC staining" is accepted for publication in Bioprotocol.
- ECRA grant from SERB is received by the PI.
- Best poster award to Dibya Mukherjee in the 10th Conference on Yeast Biology; Model Yeasts to Fungal pathogens held at JNU, New Delhi and Amity University, Gurgaon during 08th to 11th February 2018....